Featured Post

The Autumnal Equinox

                                           Last rose petals linger....                                                               ...

Monday, February 27, 2012

Career Opportunities

Salvaged Plate

Preserved Heirloom

There are some treasures in this pile.




Over the course of the past few days, I have had the opportunity to try on for size two new professions.  
The first possibility, a professional organizer. I seem to have the native ability to sort through vast quantities of stuff, pluck out the most salvageable and cast off the remainder. I do not find myself immobilized by indecision or doubt as I divide belongings into Sell, Thrift Shop, Dump or Save.  I can do this trick equally well in my own house, my parents’ home, or my friend’s house.  From the pile designated “SAVE,” I then see it tidied and organized.  I drool over the pages of products from The Container Store with the same acumen as I do when I study lingerie catalogues.  I embrace order.  If ever I were to make a silk purse from a sow’s ear, it would be by using my somewhat obsessive-compulsive tendencies to help others.  
The second possibility for a career path, should I seek one, might be to work as a researcher in an auction house.  As I helped my friend weed through some of the many pieces of crystal and china she has accumulated from her grandmother’s and parent’s estates, I found I had a knack of using the computer to place the country and year of manufacture. It was but a small jump to estimating its value. I would lose myself in mini-history lessons while clutching a plate or a bowl.  The Antiques Roadshow has nothing over me when I set my mind to it.
In a lifetime that has included forays into biochemical research, cosmetic sales, real estate, financial consulting, banking, training, text-book writing and magazine writing, among others, a spell as an organizer or a research associate would not be much of a departure.

No comments:

Post a Comment