Featured Post

The Autumnal Equinox

                                           Last rose petals linger....                                                               ...

Friday, January 6, 2012

The Twelfth Day of Christmas

Today is the Twelfth Day of Christmas. It has become my habit to gather all my Holiday Greeting Cards and, on this day, to open them all. It is a small ritual, but one I enjoy very much. I sit down with a mug of tea and a letter opener at the ready. Then, I start to reconnect with family and friends that were kind enough to think of me. I spend a great deal of time looking at the pictures, reflecting on life’s vicissitudes and sending love to the people who have brought joy and light to my world. My tree is down, the ornaments stored, the wreath has been replaced with one that carries a Winter theme rather than a Christmas theme. However, the last glimmer of holiday joy touches me as I open and read these greeting cards. The number has dwindled appreciably over the years. At one time, there were well over 150 cards. This year, there were about forty. Emails and texts have brought us all closer. A casualty of our improved methods of communicating are holiday greeting cards. However, I will continue to observe this small, but satisfying ritual that I observe at the beginning of each year until there is just one holiday card in my mailbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment