Featured Post

The Autumnal Equinox

                                           Last rose petals linger....                                                               ...

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Equanimity


For the most part, I try to practice e·qua·nim·i·ty.  (Wikipedia definition: Mental calmness, composure, and evenness of temper, esp. in a difficult situation.)  I will be the first to admit that I have a long way to go.  However, I can claim that I understand the principle of equanimity and what a value it is to both mind and body to remain calm and composed even under duress.  In my pursuit of understanding, my studies led me to Buddhism.  I have been reading more than I can take in, more than I can comprehend.  However, I have the hope that, like mud thrown against a wall, some of it may stick.  To garner a better understanding of my life and the circumstances with which I am faced, I find it valuable to retrace the steps of others who have met with adversity.  One of the most outstanding articles I read was entitled Equanimity, our Greatest Friend by Shaila Catherine.  http://imsb.org/teachings/equanimity.php
The author shares a famous Buddhist poem that says it all:
If your mind becomes firm like a rock
and no longer shakes
In a world where everything is shaking
Your mind will  be your greatest friend
and suffering will not come your way.
The first four days of this week have tried my equanimity.  In fact, my mind was more like jello than a rock.  I reached out to my closest friends who listened and encouraged me. I reflected in quiet solitude and I prayed.  
The message I bear is that, by remaining open to the hardships in our life, we have the opportunity to practice equanimity.  


No comments:

Post a Comment