Featured Post

The Autumnal Equinox

                                           Last rose petals linger....                                                               ...

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Self-Help Books


I have to confess a small, but embarrassing truth; I hate self-help books. Simply going into the “SELF- HELP” section of Barnes and Noble makes me uncomfortable. It is my habit to ridicule the authors for their seemingly simplistic remedies for everyday life. This is a judgmental flaw in my character that is difficult to own. Having divulged this secret, in the interest of full disclosure, I have to confess to owning quite a number of these books. The majority of them have been gifts from well-meaning friends. I feel compelled to read them to digest what they might be telling me. I want to be open-minded enough to admit that yes, at times, I need help. Most of the time that help comes directly through others, not through words on a printed page. Having said that, however, I can look at the shelves in my library and find dozens of books that I have read starting from the earliest -- in high school -- which was, “How to Decipher Your Dreams.” During my twenties and thirties the books had an astral, other-worldly quality to them. The most recent books are about taking control of own’s life and steering one’s destiny. Mostly, the messages are similar. Though the examples differ and the stories reflect slightly different truths, ultimately, it is up to each of us to take responsibility for ourselves. This, and only this, will steer us toward happiness and fulfillment. Gratitude and generosity are the natural consequence of such happiness.
So, read the books if you choose, but I can cut through all of it for you with that one simple truth. Happy Reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment