Featured Post

The Autumnal Equinox

                                           Last rose petals linger....                                                               ...

Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Last Bloom on the Rose




One of my favorite parts of this time of year is the surprise when I find breathtaking flowers blooming gloriously, despite the reality of intemperate weather, unseasonal snows and assaulting winds. These few hangers-on seem to have concentrated all their internal energy on bringing forth this one, last perfect bloom. Amidst the brown grass, the grey desiccated branches and sandy brown of the soil, I find it a boon to catch a glimpse of color where a flower blooms despite all reason. And despite all that stunning beauty, my eye is still drawn to the bright red berries that dangle from dead stalks and the lovely muted pink hue of the hydrangea blossoms that linger on stiff twigs. All of this gives me courage as I turn to face the autumn of my years.

No comments:

Post a Comment