Featured Post

The Autumnal Equinox

                                           Last rose petals linger....                                                               ...

Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Past Meets the Future




In doing my part to ready my father’s house on Martha’s Vineyard for rental, I have taken pleasure in small finds.  The shape and symbolism of the key that my mother kept in her top bureau drawer speaks of a time when women locked their jewelry at night, wore cold cream to bed, and powdered their noses morning, noon and night. The ten-pound flat iron from the 1890‘s seems more like a weapon than an iron. It is heavy and compact; its use should have been a licensed privilege. The sea-glass that fills bottles and jars in every room tells a story of hundreds of early morning walks over decades of beach days. The biggest surprise came when I was changing the drawer-liners in my parents’ bedside tables.  These are squat antiqued-yellow miniature bureaus that each have four drawers.  I discovered paper lining those drawers dating from the 1950’s, back to the date of original purchase.  My mother, ever-frugal, used wrapping paper to line the drawers.  I was surprised how beautiful one print was -- it would remain a bestseller today.  Its theme was timeless, and its colors are vibrant, even sixty-years later.  The other paper that I found tells me a lot about the idealized image of brides in the 1950’s.  It would have been used to bring a gift to a bridal shower.  Images of “the little woman” in veils were used to create rosaces on a cream-colored background. The take on what was appropriate for gift-giving sixty-years later is very different.; women have gained liberating footage in ways we do not realize. However, the aspect of hopefulness in a bride’s demeanor remains remarkably fixed -- then and now.  Whether it is a key, an iron, sea-glass or gift-wrap, in many ways, the past and the future appear to have a lot in common.

No comments:

Post a Comment