Featured Post

The Autumnal Equinox

                                           Last rose petals linger....                                                               ...

Monday, October 17, 2011

Proper Fit

Among the things that were never mentioned when I agreed to have my hips replaced was the very obvious; the size of my hips would change. Initially, I attributed my new, larger hip size to post-surgical swelling. Nope. As it turns out, the swelling has, for the most part, subsided...and still, I am left with new girth. In addition, I was not prepared for the shock for seeing my “hip bones” protruding at unequal heights. My doctor explained that my legs are, unfortunately, different lengths. He couldn’t change the length of my legs, so he adjusted the placement of the prostheses to accommodate this inequality.
I share this information with you so you can understand why my bag of clothes to share with the Salvation Army is heavy with slacks and jeans and skirts. The clasps simply don’t close. My weight, if anything is less than a year ago. Apparently, my new hips are to blame. It is a basic mathematical equation. I thought bringing out my winter clothes would bring the familiar thrill of seeing my seasonal clothes come back to life. Not so much this year. As I tried on this, pulled on that, I found my wardrobe shrinking at an alarming rate.
Today, I treated myself to a trip to T.J. Maxx. When it came right down to it, I couldn’t bring myself to schlep into a dressing room and try on new clothes. I came up with a feasible solution. I would purchase a new pair of exercise pants. After all, I will be doing adductor and abductor exercises for the rest of my life. I might as well look good while doing them. The other bonus my idea offered was that exercise pants stretch. No need to worry about the taking off and trying on most pant purchases require.
I chose a pair of black New Balance yoga pants with “an extra booty lift.” Hey, now that sounded good. When I got home, I couldn’t wait another minute to try them on. One glance in the mirror told the whole story. The hips fit perfectly....but the pants were too short.

No comments:

Post a Comment