Featured Post

The Autumnal Equinox

                                           Last rose petals linger....                                                               ...

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A Good Day -- Waterskiing Day 18 Year 2

image courtesy of wn.com

Few of us take time to say, “Wow, this was a good day.”  Instead, our thoughts turn to what we consider were disappointments or we move straight on to our plans for tomorrow.  In the right now, in the moment, we often fail to relax into all that is good about what we are doing

I am reminded of a story. The first time I went water skiing, my friend and her father counseled me as to how to get up, out of the water.  They owned a small boat with a strong, outboard motor.  While they positioned the craft, they left me, wearing an orange life-vest, bobbing in the water.  My feet were anchored in skis, my knees were pulled to my chest.  The boat took off down a long, wide-open stretch of the Connecticut River.  I felt the towdvvline growing taut, then, with a tremendous heave, I was up! It was unfortunate when I crossed my skis and demonstrated how to do a face plant.  It took me several yards of being dragged -- legs akimbo -- to realize that I had to release the towline.  I floated while I waited for the boat to circle around. I remembered to hold held up my arm high over my head to show a thumbs up, “All’s Well.”  Second time, I accidentally lost my grip on the towline and I sank, rather gracefully, into the water.  The third time was the charm.  I rose from the water like I had been doing it my whole life. It was easy.  The wind felt cool against my wet skin. My legs strained to balance on the two skis. After I had skied about thirty feet, I tossed the  towline into the air.  Happy with my accomplishment, I watched the boat race down the River, away from me.  When my friend and her father realized I was no longer in tow, I heard the change in pitch of the motor.  They turned back for me, shock etched in their expressions.  I hastened to reassure them from a distance, waving my thumb in a jubilant celebration of “All’s Well.”  They pulled alongside me.  
“What happened?” My friend yelled over the sputtering of the motor. “Why did you drop the towline?”  She leaned over the side of the boat to pull up the skis I was handing her.  With considerable upper arm strength, I hoisted myself up and over the side of the boat from the small ladder that hung on its side.  I shouted to make myself heard, “YOU NEVER TOLD ME WHAT TO DO ONCE I GOT UP!”
So the parallel is clear, right?  I am telling you, when a good day comes along, ENJOY IT.  Do whatever you have to do to lay down a record of just how fine it was.  You don’t know how many times you will get to grip that towline and go for a ride.  

No comments:

Post a Comment