Featured Post

The Autumnal Equinox

                                           Last rose petals linger....                                                               ...

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Entertaining Fantasies






It is a fact of human existence; we all entertain fantasies.  To the extent our imagination can carry us, we can create another world.  Some people fantasize with more facility than others; they do not seem to be engineered with an internal editing engine that stops them with such self-talk as “Don’t be so ridiculous,” “Be realistic,” and “Grow up.” 
The funny thing about fantasies is that, sometimes, you entertain them without acknowledging them as such.  When I was eight, I sat in front of our house in Piscataway, N.J. singing “Somewhere Over the Rainbow.” I was filled with the righteous conviction that someone driving by -- it was a main thoroughfare, after alll -- would hear the strains of the melody and stop their car.  So enchanted would they be that they would knock on the door to ask my parents if they could take me to New York for a career as a singer. This was no more a fantasy than the dishes I would do after dinner.
Even now, I cringe a little with embarrassment that I was full-owner of that particular fantasy.
In fantasies, reality is born.  Many of my so-called fantasies have turned into sweet reality. My home on a mountain.  My three children.  The ability to spend some time on Martha’s Vineyard. Loyal and caring friends.  A working laptop and internet to bring me the world. All things I dreamt of having in my life.
I have had an eye on the day number that I use to label my blogs for about a week.  The counter has turned steadily toward 200.  Let’s all get our party hats and horns.  Today is the 200th day that I have written a daily blog.  On television, the 200th show commands extravagant celebration. Why not the 200th blog?  What is the particular fantasy I can lay claim to pertaining to the 200 in the volume? That my Facebook account and email account and comments section will be overflowing with feedback.  When performers are on stage, it is perfectly acceptable for them to use the universal sign of gimme, gimme when they are asking for louder applause.  And writers?  We may be solitary in our habits, but certainly not solitary in our fantasizes!

No comments:

Post a Comment