Featured Post

The Autumnal Equinox

                                           Last rose petals linger....                                                               ...

Saturday, November 8, 2014

Another Election Day

  


     Robert Frost wrote, “TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood. And sorry I could not travel both.”  His words came to mind this week on Election Day.  

     Every Election Day leaves me with a particularly sharp sense of awareness that I have the privilege of making choices.  I can participate in the giant mechanism of democracy that makes our country unique.  I feel honored to be held within the grip of a political model that instills patriotism. I feel blessed that at the broad level, overlooking the stutters and missteps we take as individuals and, sometimes, as a nation, one legacy reigns; one person, one vote.   Our forefathers created a country that supports freedom for individuals while balancing that gift with maintaining a vision that encourages the greater good for us all.  Often, I disagree with the mind of the electorate. It is not unusual for my choices to be found sitting on the losing side of the aisle. However, I understand what a privilege it is that there is room enough for my voice whether it is a winning or losing choice.  I continue to keep cynicism at bay, distrust at a distance.  America, our great nation, continues to be an experiment in democracy, and I am honored to be part of that experiment. Locke, Rousseau and Jefferson would take great pride in seeing their model unfurl as it has. 
     As I walked out of the Town Library on the first Tuesday of November at 1:05pm, I was proud to be the 684th person to cast a ballot in my small town.


No comments:

Post a Comment